Remembering Our Past
On April 7 1846, J.W. Vick sold the land on which our present building stands to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The first church building was dedicated in 1850 and stood until 1899 when a new building was erected. On Palm Sunday 1925 the congregation watched in sadness as their church burned. Under the leadership of Rev. George H. Thompson, plans went forward for a new building. Under Rev. Thomas Prewitt, plans, the final note was paid on Easter Sunday 1944.
In 1958, Crawford Street United Methodist Church purchased the English Tudor-style house known as the Adolf Rose home next door to the church at 1414 Cherry Street. It is now called Memorial Hall and houses a small chapel, reception area, the Youth Department, and additional Sunday School classrooms.
In 1968 the national church made the decision to unite the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren to become the United Methodist Church.
The Raworth Home property, located on the northeast corner of South and Monroe Streets, was purchased on April 18, 1988. The house was razed and a parking lot was created.
After fire gutted the Sydney Building, the property located on the southeast corner of Monroe and Crawford Streets was purchased on September 15, 1997.
On December 15, 2000, the master plan for a new church educational wing and a family life center was approved. On June 9, 2002, Wesley Hall was consecrated during a service led by present and former pastors and our District Superintendent. On February 19, 2006, Wesley Hall was dedicated during a service led by Bishop Hope Morgan Ward.
The Story of the Stained Glass
North Windows: Old Testament Verses
Window 1: Creation: In the center: The Hand of God (Gen. 1.1) To the left: Day (light Gen. 1:4-5) To the right: Night (Gen. 1:3-5)
Window 2: The Temptation and the Fall: In the center: The Serpent and Fruit (Gen. 3:1-6) To the left: The Flaming Sword guarding Eden (Gen. 3:22, 24) To the right: The plow with which Adam would earn his living (Gen. 3:22, 23)
Window 3: Judgment of the Flood: In the center: the Ark and the Dove (Gen. 6:5-8; 9-22 and 7:1-24) To the left: The Altar of Sacrifice (Gen. 8:13; 20-22) To the right: The Rainbow, the sign of God’s covenant with man (Gen. 9:8-17)
Window 4: The Law: In the center: The two Tablets of the Law (the first was devoted to the worship of God; the second to the service of man) Exodus 20 To the right: The Ark of the Testimony (Exodus 25:10-22) To the right: The Caduceus (Numbers 21:5-9)
Window 5: The Priesthood: In the center: The Lampstand for the Tabernacle (today the church) (Exodus 25:31-40) To the left: Aaron’s breast piece (Exodus 28:1, 2, 15-30) To the right: a Modern Altar (Exodus 30)
South Windows: New Testament Verses
Window 6: The Life of Christ: In the center: The Nativity (Luke 2:1-7) To the left: The Scriptures (Bible) To the right: The Resurrection (Luke 24:1, 11)
Window 7: The Parables and the Miracles: In the center: The Storm at Sea (Matthew 8:23-27) To the left: The Widow’s Offering (Luke 21:1-4) To the right: Feeding the 5,000 (Mark 6:30-44)
Window 8: The Holy Sacrament of Communion In the center: The Cup (Luke 22:19-30) To the left: The Bread (Luke 22:19 to the right: The Wine (Luke 22:20)
Window 9: War Memorial Window
This is the largest of the nine windows and consists of three arched panels. In the center panel, an angel holds a scroll bearing the following words: In Memoriam To Our Boys Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice 1917
Lt. Henry Cook Allein
Lt. H. B. Aden, Jr.
Wm. H. Allein
Geo. Marshall Feilder
Chas. Henry Rogers
All five of these young men brought honor to Crawford Street UMC, but the fact that two sons of one family–the Alleins–were killed within 22 days of each other made their story of particular significance. They were designated by the media as Doughboy, Private William Weems Allein, the youngest, and his older brother a Flyboy–Henry Cook Allein. The rose garden behind CSUMC features a statue of Private Wm. Allein, holding his Springfield rifle, guarding the monument which is dedicated to the 45 Vicksburgers who were killed in WW1. He is buried in the American Cemetary near Exermont, France, where he was killed.
His brother, Henry Cook Allein, was a daring pilot in the 28th Aero Squadron, 3rd Pursuit Group, killed in action 15 miles from where his brother died 15 days before the Armistice Treaty was signed ending the war. There is apparently a plane on the WW 1 monument behind the church that is supposed to be Henry’s. He was killed when his plane was shot down by German flying aces. He is also buried in France. He and his flying partner, Eugene J. Hardy of Columbus, MS, were credited with inventing the method of dive bombing.